View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 09:15 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: G9 valve adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Also, Never try to reuse the old valve cover gasket, it will leak every time. Get your exacto knife scraper blade ready for this job, the gasket is almost always baked on to the head, it's a pain, and I have seen new guys "throw their hands up in disgust" over getting it clean enough (and I was once, or twice, that guy). Clean, clean, clean! And no junk you scraped off falling down in the head either, that's a task in itself. I usually stuff a portion of a plastic grocery bag in the rocker galley to collect the junk that tries to fall in, No "red rag lint" that way!

CP241, really good write-up on the process!
Good idea with the bag. I use washcloths from walmart as rags, an 18 pack is like 3 bucks and they don't leave the red lint either :)

IF there's anything I've missed, please add. We always say "adjust the valves" but to a lot of folks that have never done it before, this is sort of a mystery. I often take for granted simple things like valve adjustments, timing belt, etc. because I've done so many. But to someone that hasn't, it can be a bit overwhelming. I'd like to be able to point them to one thread where they can read start to finish exactly what to do from a beginner standpoint without the confusion.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote