View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 03:14 PM   #1
dogleg69
Not Yet Wild

Default 2003 Club Car DS - bypassed OBC, now what?

Have an electric 2003 Club Car DS. The battery light came on so I figured the wife or kids just did not plug it in. I plugged it in and nothing happened at all. I found that the 250v 3/8a BUSS fuse in the yellow cap from the grey sense wire was blown.

I did not see too much corrosion, but I cleaned and tightened everything anyway.

I put in a new 3/8a fuse and plugged in the cart. The only thing that would happen is the charger would click (no hum, no start then stop then start again like normal) each time I would plug in the DC into the receptacle. The charger is an PowerDrive2.

I took the charger apart and did all the diagnostics per the manual and it all checked out. I read many threads that said I could jump from the back of the DC receptacle to the negative on the pack.

This allowed the charger to come on and hum. I closely monitored that for about 4 hours until the pack was up to 59.5 volts. Then I unplugged the AC and then the DC.

Based on what I have read on the forums, that points to the OBC being bad.
I would like help with two questions:

1) Is there any other tests I can do to test the OBC?

2) If it is the OBC, is the best course of action to replace the OBC or to get a newer charger and bypass the OBC altogether? If so, what are the current model recommendations?

Any advice before I spend a chunk of money on a OBC or new charger would be appreciated.

Thanks to all on the forum. I have certainly learned a lot.
dogleg69 is offline   Reply With Quote