View Single Post
Old 03-06-2016, 11:20 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Problem charging 2013 Precedent

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson521dc View Post
Wow guys, thanks for all the response. The batteries say pd plus, I think they are original. The only thing that looks like it might be a date stamp is a small square sticker with a barcode and under the barcode it says K2.

I suspected batteries may be the issue. Here is my predicament. The cart was sold with a one year warranty, which the guy told me would include replacing a bad battery if that occurred during that time. I feel that I bought it with one or more bad batteries with the information you all have given me. At the time of sale he said that anytime in the next two years he will install a full set of batteries for $575, which seems like a good deal, but I hate to do any more business with him if he won't even stand behind the warranty. I have a battery tester, the "toaster" style. Can I use that to load test the batteries? If so can I do that while they are all still hooked together? I figure that way I may be able to identify just one bad battery. I may just need to bite the bullet and go buy a set of batteries. Also should the charger be coming back on when the voltage drops that low? I thought the club car charger was a maintenance type charger. jjance I'm in upstate SC. Thanks again for all the help!
If you bought it from a dealer, they should have a discharge machine and they should be familiar with discharge times. Per Club Car policy, a set of batteries that discharges below 60 minutes on a Club Car discharge machine are considered bad. If it's got a warranty, they should swap batteries one at a time starting at the worst and working their way up until they change enough of them to get you a passing discharge time. Just be aware that this is just a band-aid fix and that all of the batteries are more than likely in very similar condition.

Let me explain,

A discharge machine puts a load on the entire battery pack. It has a digital readout on the front of the machine with a timer on it that keeps track of how long the machine has been running. When the batteries drop below 42 volts while discharging, the machine will then turn off and the final discharge time will remain lit on the screen. Let's say it's 52 minutes and 32 seconds. They would then turn the discharge machine back ON and take a multimeter and check each battery individually, while loaded by the machine, and find the weakest battery. The batteries should then be re-charged and the bad battery should be swapped with a good used battery. The process will then be repeated. If you still get a time under 60 minutes, change the next weakest battery. Repeat process until discharge time is over 60 minutes.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote