View Single Post
Old 12-18-2014, 11:45 AM   #10
sunking
Gone Wild

Default Re: Converting to Lithium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncorry View Post
Sinking, that's what I was looking for. I like the sound of turnkey. At $3,225 for the package, I understand what you mean by sticker shock. In your opening line, you compared FLA at 225ah to 100ah lithium. In your conversion, was the range about the same? I realize that a cart would lose about 300 lbs in the process, but I'm considering this for range reasons.
Range is pretty close to equal with a slight edge to lithium. But as I warned you. Do Not Push The Limit with Lithium. That is why you should use LVC. If it operates while out, you will have to tow it home. But without LVC and it stops, tow it to the junk yard and toss the batteries.

What you will really like with lithium is the acceleration rate. Lithium batteries have much lower internal resistance. That translate into more peak current without excessive voltage sag. In addition Lithium has a much flatter discharge voltage curve. That results in the performance stays pretty much the same from full charge to fully discharged. Unlike FLA starts strong and slowly Peters Out and finishes sluggish as you discharge. You do not get that warning with Lithium. All is fine and within a matter of a few seconds you go from peppy to stuck.

One last benefit is weight. A Trojan 48 volt 225 AH battery weighs around 500 pounds. A 48 volt 100 AH lithium weighs in around 120 to 140 pounds. That weight loss translate into better efficiency with more acceleration.

BTW it is Sunking, not Sinking Sinking is my sister. Want to meet her? She is looking for husband #7. She is a rich Morman in Utah. Still has 6 husbands, she just wants 1 more. Th eother 6 are getting worn out and need a break.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote