View Single Post
Old 09-15-2016, 03:33 PM   #2
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Default Re: 01 48 V CC DS - Hunting Buggy Build ?'s

[QUOTE=Regulator;1316420]Hello - this is my second post and 1st build. I recently purchased an 01 48 Volt Club Car DS with 6 relatively new Trojan batteries. It appears they were replaced in Jan 2015. I will do my best to attach photos correctly. If anyone can help me with the following questions I will be very appreciative.

I plan to build a hunting buggy out of this cart. All suggestions are greatly appreciated. I want to get this right!

1. I think the cart has some sort of lift? However, I plan to purchase a Jakes 6 inch spindle lift. Thoughts?Do a long travel kit or at the very least an A-Arm lift. The spindle lift will beat you to death off road and tire adjustability is very limited.

2. Considering performance, looks, etc - What size wheels and tires would you recommend? I am leaning towards the Swamp Fox tires and 12 inch all black steel wheels with the triangle shaped cut outs. Looking for an aggressive tire. I really like the Dirt Devils but can seem to find them.Wheel size is your preference, tire size is a better question. I'd go with 22", but 23" at the very most. The larger you go, the more torque you loose and that is precious in a dedicated hunting cart.

3. Recommendation for a 48v to 12v converter. I plan to put an LED light bar, cig lighter for spot light and possibly a winch. I'd use a 30 reducer, but if you want to use a winch you're gonna have to use a dedicated 12V stand alone battery for that. The winch will pull too many amps for a reducer to run it.

4. Would like to switch all lights to LED. See photo attached. What size and brand LED lights do you recommend. I dont need street legal. Any LED kit will be a direct replacement for your cart. I'd suggest making sure the kit is adjustable so you can pattern your beam accordingly.

5. I plan to put my Old Towne Canoe on top to carry it down to the lake. Thinking I should weld in some cross beam supports? Is this necessary? May also use the support up high in the front to mount an LED flood. Would you fab up a couple bars to put the canoe on our just lay it on the top and hold it in place with a couple bungee cords? Again not going far or fast. Don't put too much weight on top, the supports can develop stress fractures from this over time. If only hauling the canoe on top I think that would be fine and I'd only use straps or bungees for that.

6. Any tips on painting the body? I plan to light sand and spray with a Rustoleum or Valspar Flat Black paint. I just painted the top. Underside of the top I lightly sanded, then Primed with Bullys then painted flat black with Rustomleum Primer/Paint. On the top side of the top I aggressively sanded primed with Bullys then sprayed with Rustoleum Flat Blk Paint/Primer. Didn't like the look so I repainted with Rustoleum Bed Liner. Figured it would be more durable hitting limbs, canoe rubbing it, etc. Prep work is the key to good painting. Take your time to sand, fill any bad sport/cracks, prime, paint and clear. Do a search in the design subsection to see the work a lot of members on here have done.

7. Thoughts on creating a quick disconnect between batteries and winch? I am putting front and rear grizzly metal works bumbers with receivers. My plan is to be able to mount the winch so I can take it on and off as needed in either receiver.

8. Do I need to make any upgrades to the controller or motor? Honestly, I picked this up from reading. I have no idea what the controller does and how, if or why I would need to upgrade or change. Depends on the type of terrain you'll be traversing and your budget.

9. How much weight would you put in that box? Can I throw a buck on there? Will I need to upgraded the rear springs? Looks like something as already been done to them. Looks like you already have HD springs, looks like you rear bushing from what I can see could use some replacing to help with any squeaks. I think that box could haul a decent sized deer no problem.

10. If anyone sees any flaws for any of my plans please speak up. You will not hurt my feelings. Just trying to get this right. Also any ideas to make it a better hunting cart.

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

QUOTE]

Hopefully others will chime in with the few questions I may not have answered. Good Luck with the build!
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote