View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 01:15 AM   #1
Cheesy
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Custom Rear Seat Build

Hey All...Thought I would post this up as some where curious on how to fasten vinyl without having to crease or fold the corners. Keep in mind this is a small kids seat designed to be removable, for my rear golf bag well. Therefore it is pretty small, and has fairly sharp corners with not much radius at all (10.5"x11.75"). A better fit can/should be obtained with a full size seat. Regardless, the theory can/has be applied to most everything (motorcycle seats, ATV seats, poker tables).

First off.... Don't cheat yourself by purchasing cheap vinyl to save a buck. You will require a marine grade vinyl ($10/yd)that has some stretch to it, and not the stiff thin crap you get at Walmart ($7/yd). Also, if you don't own an electric staple gun..... Then get one! Best $15.00 you will ever spend!

Anyway, here is what I've done, and I'll try to explain the steps best I can. If you have any question, feel free to ask. Or if you would like to add to the thread, feel free as well.

First I obtained a simple pattern with some used cardboard. Measure twice..Cut once

Then transfered to plywood, and cut with Jig Saw

Bent and drilled brackets

Drilled and installed Nut-Serts. (Also used for arm rests on front seats)

Found me some Curb Side Foam (This idea originated from this form) Two cushions could also be glued together with 3M adhiesive to obtain a large enough piece for full size seats as well

Marked out foam, and cut with a large serated knife.

Used angle grinder to bevel the plywood edges, top, and bottom. As well, I find an angle grinder to work well for shaping, and rounding the foam. A less abrassive, or well worn soft disc works best for this, as not to grab and rip the foam. Nice easy, fast, light, smooth strokes.

Everything laid out and ready to fasten

Cheesy is offline   Reply With Quote