View Single Post
Old 10-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo Battery charge issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2retired View Post
I have a 2008 Ezgo Electric Golf Cart. It charges fine and runs great for about 4 holes then gets sluggish fast! almost did not make it home after 9 holes.
I tested my battery's volts and tested with hydrometer.
results after charging them overnigh:
Batt 1 6.36 Soc = 98%volts all three cells test in the good range on Hydrometer.
Batt 2 6.31 Soc = 90% and two cells tested good one cell tested fair range.
Batt 3 6.32 Soc = 92% all cells tested good on Hydrometer.
Batt 4 6.38 Soc = 100% all cells tested good on Hydrometer.
Batt 5 6.34 Soc = 93% all cells tested good on Hydrometer.
Batt 6 6.21 Soc = 73% all cells tested good on Hydrometer.
Can I clean them using that Epson salt method to improve my power and restore my batteries?
Anyone have any suggestions? I really do not want to buy new batteries if I can save these.
Thanks!!!!!
Welcome to BWG

First, get a hydrometer that reads Specific Gravity to 3 decimal places. (IE: 1.277 for a fully charged cell 1.258 for a 90% SoC)
At most, only all three cells in the batteries with a 98% or higher SoC (State of Charge) should have test "Good" and there might be a few individual cells in the remaining batteries with a SG of 1.258 or greater.

Some people are for the "Snake Oil" battery restoration techniques, some are against it. Personally, I'm against it.
Wet cell lead acid batteries work on lead (alloys) and sulfuric acid (H2SO4) diluted with pure water (H2O), anything else is a contaminant and interferes with the chemical processes.

To get a better idea of how good/bad your batteries are, measure the terminal voltage after you've ran the cart two or three miles.

Your performance and run time are limited by the weakest battery, so you're starting out with about a 70% charge.

Battery #6 is probably beyond redemption, but you might be able to replace it with a good used battery about the same age and delay buying a new set for a couple months.

Good luck,
John
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote