View Single Post
Old 12-16-2021, 06:31 AM   #4
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Planning Engine Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Going from a stock 11hp engine to a Briggs 16hp Vanguard Vtwin will be a night and day difference. Big torque low in the rpm range is perfect for a golf cart, especially if you use it to pull a load like a small trailer or a mower or like to use it for work. In stock form with 23" tires the Briggs can rev safely to 4500 rpm without modification and will net a top speed around 30 mph. If you keep the factory governor on the engine you will top out at around 3800 rpm and 25 mph. Either way it's a big improvement over stock.

A 16hp engine isn't much different, but hey, might as well go for the 18hp version. Difference in stock form wouldn't be very noticable if compared side by side. So buy what you can get a good price on. Either one will work nicely on that cart.

Another thought is the HF670 Predator. Much different animal. It comes with a muffler that actually sounds really good. Much more power here. Same rev limiter and speed, just huge amount of torque!!! Cost will be similar. Quality is good. I did have some minor issues with it, the fuel pump is junk, fuel lines should be replaced, spark plugs are terrible. So with a few minor cheap upgrades I feel like it's a bargain for the amount of power you get. Keep in mind....it's a China copy engine.....quality isn't the same as the Japan made Vanguard.

I've used the following vtwin engines:
16hp Vanguard twin stock
23hp Vanguard twin stock
22hp HF670 Predator twin stock (my second favorite)
16hp Vanguard twin, rev kit, cam, 18hp carb (by far my favorite)
23hp Vanguard with 34mm Mikuni and full 1.5" pipe exhaust (third favorite)
Why was the modded 16hp your favorite over the 23? I like mine but been thinking of buying a 23 or 31 briggs
panteramatt is offline   Reply With Quote