View Single Post
Old 08-16-2014, 01:42 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Planning a motor upgrade. NEED HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeman View Post
So if I go the way of the clone I will still have reverse? Did u stay with pedal start or switch to key start? Is one better than the other? When I get my motor out, with it being a kf82 flat head motor what would it be worth or who do I need to ask? Thanks for your input.
More is usually better lol, but I have other projects and blowing an additional $1K-1200 on a motor back then would take more waiting. Also use this for utility stuff I have a dump box normally on it, it didn't need to have giant power. I did another family cart and it turned out so well I just went with it, still playing with things to get the most out of it. Not sure I will cam it or not at some point.

Reverse is in the trans on 4 stroke carts, it will work the same as stock.

I use pedal start because the cart is used for a lot of yard type stuff and it is way more handy than starting it 30 times a day. If it was a trail only cart I might go starter, but most clones don't charge then you have to put a alternator on or buy one like the home depot with the new 18A charging system that just came out lately. The gen does 15A charging and its on there already (yamaha but similar on other carts). Some people have had issues with clone starters not lasting that long, some have not had problems. May depend on the brand I don't know.

Sure you can sell the old motor, I don't know value on those but I can get minimum 300 out of a running G9 engine. Check ebay and craigslist for an idea. Lot of people just want to get it running and not interested in swap project or more power, its much easier to drop another stock engine in. I can take a G9 engine out in 15 min or something. Reminds me: good idea to pressure wash the heck out of the engine and everything else before you tear into it, or wash it as much as you can and from the bottom.

I worked on some older CC I put HS gears in one and hit 28gps on the limiter with that flathead, all stock cart otherwise. Near bought a carryall2 but it cost more to lift and other things so I passed.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote