View Single Post
Old 01-13-2014, 12:32 AM   #2
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Default Re: 81 DS Resistor Coils Speed Steps

First, Welcome to BGW!

You have the basics down, so i'll give you a quick run through. The cart has 5 solenoids and four speeds.

Solenoids are from LEFT to RIGHT (DRIVER'S side to PASSENGER'S side) and are Master, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

Click one, master engaging - cart will not move
Click two, solenoid two engaging - cart will move
Click three, solenoid three engaging - cart will move faster
Click four, solenoid four engaging - cart will move even faster
Click five, solenoid five engaging - cart will move now at top speed.

*List goes from pedal up > clicks 1-5 > pedal on the floor

The more solenoids that are engaged the less coils that are used to burn off energy as heat, therefore increasing speed.

These carts have a pretty bulletproof system, and they're easy to troubleshoot when something goes wrong. If you've only got one speed, then I'd suggest first off counting the number of clicks you're hearing from the solenoids, you should hear five and get a noticeable speed increase from each of the last four clicks. The solenoids are where I'd start, the microswitches CAN go bad, but I've seen more solenoids fail on these than I have microswitches. After 33 years those solenoids are going to be brittle and getting worn, I've seen the posts on them break out because of a stick or something coming back and literally shattering the brittle old bakelite housing. You should also make sure your coils aren't touching and aren't rusted in two (I've seen it). Do this when the cart hasn't been run in a while, those coils get HOT during operation.

Hope this helps, ask any questions you need to and we'll be sure to try and help you troubleshoot your cart as much as we can. The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask!
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote