View Single Post
Old 06-16-2019, 12:01 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Charger in bagwell

The ERIC charger is waterproof, so you only need to worry about water getting in the connections for the AC power cord and the charge cord. Some silicone grease will prevent water getting to those.

It can not be enclosed in a box, it has to have ventilation or it can overheat. Club car sells a plastic "cover" for on-board mounting the ERIC charger, but its kind of expensive.

The ERIC does have overheat protection, so it will stop charging if the charger temp gets too high, it will then resume when the temp drops. So depending on how quickly it heats up and how long it takes to cool, it could take a very long time to complete a charge cycle if it's closed up in a box.

The standard ERIC charger is not programmed for on-board use. You will have to disconnect it from the battery pack each time after a charge. If you just leave it connected to the pack it will not start a new charge cycle on it's own. There are several ways around that, using an relay triggered by AC power being plugged in, or a switch to manually disconnect.

There are a few people here who have done very nice on-board mounts with retractable cord reels that you just reel out and plug in. You may have to swap the female plug end on the cord for a male end.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote