View Single Post
Old 11-04-2020, 06:58 AM   #25
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Building tractors from golf cart parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeitz View Post
This was my first build. No controller. Being a hydro I did not think I needed one.
Not knowing what I was doing I have gathered up another tractor and parts to build
project number two. I did not know at the time of my first build that running the motor full tilt would use high amps. I have been an electrician all my life and all the motors I worked around only used high amps only if put under a load. Also using a hydro tractor was probably not the best choice because they take more power than a standard. So my next build will be a standard tractor with a controller. I'm hoping to get a lot of help from this group with my next build. I'm just now learning about controllers and all the different pedals that go with. I'm going to use a forklift motor for my next build because it's next to impossible to find a golf cart motor with an extended shaft. Most have internal splines and no bearing motor mount.
Just a thought/suggestion. Have you thought of using the entire rear end of a golf cart? Even if it is too wide for what you are doing, seems to me cutting the axles down would be much simpler than what you are doing. Just my 2 cents.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote