View Single Post
Old 02-18-2019, 07:24 PM   #8
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Lithium hunting cart overhaul

So . . . my batteries are here and as displayed above. I already have my first question. I've read a lot about pre-balancing cells before connecting a BMS. However, it's not clear if that's necessary. For example, here is what Orion says about their BMSes

The first step is to determine if you need to pre-balance cells or not. If your cells are already in balance, pre-balancing is obviously not necessary. Likewise, if the amount of time it will take the BMS to balance your cells is acceptable, no pre-balancing is necessary . . . For small battery packs such as 40 – 100 amp hours, it may be acceptable to simply allow the BMS to balance over the course of a few days regardless of how out of balance the pack is.

It also talks about "roughly balanced" cells probably not needing pre-balancing.

so, my question is, how close is "roughly balanced?" If cells are within 1/10th of each other? 1/100th? I have a volt meter that will go out to 1/1000th, but that hardly seems necessary.

orion also says that "simply connecting in parallel will not allow enough current to flow to balance the pack" and so you must charge while in parallel or charge each individual cell.

thanks.
MyCousinVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote