View Single Post
Old 11-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #5
whateverittakes
Getting Wild

Default Re: Rebuild or buy complete engine ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Check the BB/clones section a lot of us have put clones in from 390-460cc they are the same block. Vegas has mounts and engines, the mount makes it easier if you don't weld/etc. You get a lot more power, not like a v twin but roughly double that of a worn out stock engine. It is a project it takes a while with all the details like cables and exhaust and such you have to fabricate/hook up. Depends how crafty you are if you want to take on a project and if you need more power. You can swap in a stock rebuilt pretty fast while a clone takes time to get everything buttoned up. However you can buy a brand new clone for ~$300 which is cheap, though you will need other things like a $50 clutch adapter, exhaust parts, other minor things. You can put a rev kit on the clone pretty cheap and run fairly nice top speeds once broken in. Springs and advance key are only $20 or something, rejet the carb and you will be rolling pretty good. The Vegas stock engine has some better parts on it and loses the fuel tank you don't need, its a nice deal but you can use other clones too. If you want to toss the stock generator you might want the 18A charge engine home depot online has and some others, it costs a little more but the typical clone does not charge much at all so otherwise its better to keep the stock gen/starter. Or you can fab a car alternator on to it, some have done that.

If you look in the clones section you can find installs on your model cart, you can get help there if you decide to go that route. You can mod the clones a lot Vegas sells a built one too. GX390 honda was raced a lot so many parts out there for them. Or you can find a used vanguard and rebuild it if needed, and use that. I used a clone because I wanted a new engine, didn't have the time to mess with used and didn't need tons of power. My cart with a few mods and stock block has gone 38mph gps on 22s, it will spin the tires and do donuts on gravel/dirt. It could be unsafe in the wrong hands without doubt and its used for trail/yard/utility use so no need to be that wild. Really fun to run though, dialing in a new clutch on it right now almost have it working like I want. I also built a stock clone before this one only the airbox and exhaust are fabricated. Both run just like a stock cart with no governor, slightly louder exhaust, and twice the power. Mine will rev out more and has little more power with cut head and other simple mods. Now you can also get the clone vtwin the price has dropped at harbor freight to 700, not sure if you can use the coupon on them.
What engine did you go with I would be happy with 38mph Did you have to change anything or was it a direct swap?
whateverittakes is offline   Reply With Quote