Old 11-15-2022, 10:21 AM   #8
Marathon Matt
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Fully Independent Suspension Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I wondered what he was talking about with those posts

Looks like the LT front end is from the 450 Honda atv.

I can tell you a good sport atv front suspension will steer, handle, and ride fantastic as long as you use soft enough coil overs. Go too stiff and the ride will be harsh and you won't see the benefits of the LT style suspension. Travel is the key. For front coil overs I found that Yamaha Grizzly 660/700 front shocks worked really well. Sport atv coil overs were too soft and with two riders they would bottom out often. The Grizzly coil overs were just a hair stiffer and worked great for all around riding.

With that said, the rear axle(s) are the key to completing the soft ride. Getting the spring rate just right will be key. Again, I'd aim for a utility atv shock for this. UTV shocks are too stiff, I've tried several. You can play with leverage by building the shock mounts with 3-5 angle positions for adjustability.
Thanks for the info on the coil overs. i ordered some knock off 450r resivoir shocks with stiffer springs, and some stiffer polaris 500 shocks for the rear, i fully expect that i will need to tweek the shocks and springs once its all together. i'm trying to build for maximum travel that the shocks are capable of and then tune them in for the weight of the cart afterward by ordering a specific spring rate that will work for static height. I was big into enduro and hare scramble dirt bike racing for years so i learned a lot about tuning and valving shocks and forks for optimal performance and realize just how important it is, so im hoping to apply that knowledge here and end up with a very plush suspension that utliizes full travel.
Marathon Matt is offline   Reply With Quote