View Single Post
Old 09-13-2022, 11:50 PM   #6
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Attempting to convert CFMoto gas UTV to electric.

golf cart motors in stock form are often limited with a stock controller to around 3600rpm. With an aftermarket controller we open them up to around 6,000 rpm. Beyond that you risk the motor coming apart internally, which never ends well. AC motors seem to have high speed banding in them and many AC motors are capable of 10k rpm...

But my DC motor in my current cart is perfect for me. I had it set to 5700 rpm limit but dialed it back because that was too fast for me.

As for final drive ratio, most EZGO carts are 11.44 to 1. I just use 12:1 for my calculations and it works out well. Some EZGO carts have lower gears from the factory and you can get aftermarket gears as well.

My Alltrax is 360 amp max but in real world use I've never seen it more than a smidge over 300 amps for a brief moment (that was a wheelie...). Running at a continuous 23/24mph on flat pavement draws about 70 amps at around 54V. That's 3,780 watts continuous. I've seen brief spikes to 300 amps from a dead stop mashing it to the floor with an aggressive acceleration curve programmed into the controller, but 300 amps at 54v is just over 16,000 watts. So I'm wondering if the 5kw rating is the continuous rating?

If you are using 48v then 5kw means you're pushing only 104 amps. Lots of people run Navitas controllers so I'm just wondering if 5kw is not the peak rating???

Also, aren't worm drive gearboxes inherently inefficient? On an electric cart/utv efficiency is quite important.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote