Thread: O-I_C
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2020, 10:49 PM   #1981
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Club Car Wheel Stud Replacement

This is how I replaced the stripped wheel studs on my CC Transender. I'm sure there are better and easier ways. An impact wrench sure would be easier, but I was concerned stripping them again could be easy as well. With the lug wrench or socket, you have the feel when it bottoms out. Anyway, this is what I did:

Wheel stud replacement for my CC golf cart

1. I used a Dremel to cut the old studs and nut off and removed them
2. I put the new studs in the freezer the night before.
3. Getting the stud behind the wheel flange and into the hole was a bit challenging and if they had been 1/4" longer, I may have had to grind them down some. But if you do, thread a nut on first to clean the threads after grinding.
4. I started with the stud hole just slightly right of TDC. You have to put the stud in head first, then wiggle it into the flange hole from the backside. At this point I had the hold it in place and rotate the wheel flange a bit clockwise to clear the brake shoe and line the stud up to pull it in through the hole.
5. Holding it in from the backside, I slipped a stack of washer, 3 or 4 over the stud. I put some anti-seize grease on both sides of the top washer, and a touch on the stud threads before putting the lug nut, flat side first, on.
6. Finger tightened the nut and used an impact driver to put enough tension on the stud to hold it in place. It would barely pull the stud into the hole.
7. I took a long Screwdriver and put it through the hole in the wheel flange and into the opening of the Brake adjuster. I could hold the flange from turning while tightening the nut to pull the stud in place.
8. I used a 4-way lug wrench to pull the stud through. The first few turns were hard, but as it started in it got easier.
9. There is a definite stop when the stud bottomed out, but the camera on my iPhone was great to confirm it was down.
10. I did all four that way and at times due to going to different holes positioning and holding the flange down got a little difficult.
11. I cleaned the brakes, put the brake drum on, used brake cleaner to clean the studs of the anti-seize grease, adjusted the brakes and put the wheel back on with new lug nuts.
One mistake was that I put the Parking brake on as a precaution, but it was on jack stands and couldn't go anywhere. What it did do was freak me out when I couldn't get the brake drum back on. then I got smart and released the brake and it went on fine.

Thanks, everyone for your input. I don't know if freezing the studs helped, but is made sense and it couldn't hurt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stud from the Freezer.jpg (88.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Wahers Nuts and Antiseize used.jpg (150.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Locking down Hub to Pull Stud through.3.jpg (86.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Stud and Washers for Pulling Down.jpg (74.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Stud Pulled all the way in.washers.jpg (65.2 KB, 0 views)
joepiccaso is offline   Reply With Quote