Old 07-08-2019, 03:51 PM   #9
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2016 EZGO RXV or TXT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion View Post
Greetings from a Newb!

I started looking at golf carts this weekend for my family to tool around in. Mostly within our golf course community to go to the pools, but we’ll take it camping and to the beach a few times a year. My small children will also enjoy trips around the block, and I’ve convinced myself that it will be a better way to expose them to driving and they will be better drivers when it’s time than my 17 year old daughter that just learned in my truck at 15 is.

All that said about how we’ll use the cart, I am overwhelmed by the options and complexities involved in buying one. Who knew there were so many things to consider.

I’m looking at two 2016 carts, both lifted with new wheels and tires; seat upgrades; new single color paint. Both with new Trojan batteries. One is an RXV ($5,400), the other a TXT ($4,600 but I’ll need to add an extended roof so closer to $5,000 probably)

Everything I’ve read seems to boil down to:
  • RXVs are the higher quality model from EZGO, costing about $500 more base price
  • The RXV is faster and has more torque - won’t lose speed up hills as badly
  • The RXV has an automatic braking system, so you don’t actually use the brake to slow/stop the cart, just to set the parking brake
  • The RXV can be tuned electronically to dial it in and get more speed, but it seems that you need to know someone that has the know-how vs trusting a dealer or doing it yourself
  • The TXT has a standard actual brake and parking brake system that you actually use to slow/stop the cart AND to set the parking brake
  • The TXT can be made faster, but you spend $500+ on a new motor setup
  • The TXT is easier to tinker with if one is mechanically inclined (which luckily I am)

So, I’m looking to validate what I think I’ve learned and solicit opinions on which cart I should buy.

Thanks in advance for your help!
I've had both. The RXV is superior in that it will deliver torque to keep your cart moving without slowing. If you wish to tinker with the native electronics and wiring you've got the wrong cart. The only thing you can really do to the RXV is get larger wheels (recommended max total diameter @21 inches), lift it, and add electric accessories via a separate voltage reducer/fuse box. All easy to do. If you want it to go faster and especially use larger wheels, the stock controller will need reprogramming that is done by Bob Boyce, either in person or via mail. Your stock batteries and cables will work just fine. If you wish to drive your family around various types of terrain, the RXV AC motor will do it all and never complain. TXT DC motors will complain up hill.

Caution: these carts have a narrow base and are not designed to go 25 mph, especially with a lift kit. I took my kit off to keep it stable.
Buggieman18 is offline   Reply With Quote