View Single Post
Old 01-26-2019, 10:12 AM   #1
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default DIY 101 - 14 cell Nissan Leaf lithium pack

Ok, there are a bunch of great build threads on here for the Leaf cells and I am pretty sure that I have read them all several times over and I am thankful for the information and help the folks on BGW provide daily to us backyard knuckle bangers.

I just finished up the last details from building my first pack last night and while I am happy with it there are things I will do differently this time and I did not go into a lot of detail on my last build thread... I realized that I have a unique opportunity to actually to learn on one build and then document a second build once I had a clue what I was doing. So I figured that while I still have the wide eye deer in the headlights look and still remember what I didn't know I would try and organize my newly found skills and knowledge.

The basic system:
- 14 cell, 120 ah. (~ 40 mile range?) - $2,050.
- Zeva 8-16 Cell BMS, VM3 monitor and CAN bus current sensor, temp sensor and Gigavac 240 contactor (for both HV and LV disconnect) - $525
- 58.4v, 10 amp charger (out of stock so this may change...) - $90

There are many ways to get this project done and I welcome input and lessons learned from others that have built packs.

My first pack is in a '05 CC Precedent this pack is going into a '16 EZGO RXV. But it really doesn't matter anymore than it matters what you put a AA battery into.

Sourcing the big parts:
I started with two 14 cell sets from the EV Battery Center out of a 2017 Nissan Leaf. Neli does not keep the website updated with current inventory, call her to see what she has. The modules are also available on Ebay there are a number of recent threads on sourcing modules. EV did not have the DIY kits or DIY end plates in stock, I was getting ready to fabricate my own when I got two sets from Pingeye3. I did ask EV to include the OEM end plates in case I needed a plan B for mounting as well as the original BMS tap connectors.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote