View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 07:16 PM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lifepo4 Pack Specificatons

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramermy View Post
I was able find the rating for the cells. The manufacturer says the cells are rated for 3C continuous and 5C~10C peak without the BMS.

BobBoyce, thanks again for the added information. Its very helpful. I definitely have some other things to consider before i pull the trigger and order these cells and the battery kit.

I need to make sure:
  • I don't screw up my controller by shutting it off before it writes to its internal memory
  • Have a way to gently bring the cart to a stop if i have a cell or BMS fault condition (as noted in one of the other threads that an abrupt stop at 20mph would be a big problem)
  • Build a manual override like BobBoyce did for his 2008 RXV
  • Adjust the BMS specs to handle the required motor amps. I don't want this awesome battery pack to under perform

Do you think i should have a BMS built state-side or via a well know BMS manufacturer rather than get through the chinese cell manufacturer? Any recommendations on a good BMS company to work with?

thanks,
Myles
If I remember right, the peak rating at 5C has a much longer runtime vs the 5 second peak rating at 10C. The pack capacity at the continuous 3C rating would be desired to accomodate your hill climb times, if any.

I would go with a chinese BMS board, and integrate it into your build. The member agpfl has found sources for programmable BMS boards that are relatively inexpensive. You would need one designed to work with a 16S pack. That way you can set your upper, lower, and charge limits. Otherwise you can buy a slightly lower cost ($35 - $40) preprogrammed BMS board that is already programmed with those settings for you. I went the preprogrammed route with my RXV, just shopped around until I found what I wanted. Since my Bandolero build is to be a much more sophisticated build, I chose a much more sophisticated BMS and charger with a control display that I will integrate into the dash of that vehicle.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote