View Single Post
Old 03-06-2021, 06:09 PM   #1
Tfastle@aol.com
Not Yet Wild

Default MPT 1200, Cruise Speed - Larger Wheels or Cluthes? To Lift or not to lift?

Last fall I got an MPT1200 (350 MCI) with the engine blown up, apart and in a box, seats covers shredded from exposure, and tires flat. With the help of members of this forum I was able to get the engine cleaned up, parts ordered and it put back together. I have about a tank of gas through it and it seems to be running well so that is good. It accelerates very nicely, seems to have very good torque and goes up hills with no problem. The only thing is, it's natural cruising speed is a bit slow. By natural cruising speed I mean that point where a vehicle seems to cruise comfortably without having to work hard, labor or over rev. I understand that is a "feel" thing and everyone probably "feels" it a little differently but I would guess most people that have driven a lot of different vehicles understands what I mean. When I take off it pulls very nicely and as the engine revs to a point that feels, RPM wise, like it would be a good cruising speed we are only going 9-10 miles per hour. It will go faster but it feels to me like you are working it a bit to do that and I wouldn't want to run it like that for a long drive. If I push it, it will go about 15 mph and doesn't seem to hit the rev limiter in the ignition but that's about where it hits the rev limiter in my head so I back off.

I would guess, in the case of this MPT 1200 (and I assume all of them), that it's because this rig is designed to be more of a, as it's other name would suggest, Workhorse and was designed to drive and pull more like a tractor than a sedan.

We plan to use this at our lake house to tool around, run back and forth and just have fun on as opposed to do a lot of work with it. (I actually think I will end up making it so I can remove the bed and put another seat on the back.)

So, I am wondering if I am correct about these rigs - are they in stock from really not what you would call "cruise around" rigs and more work oriented? It seems to me if I were to put larger wheels on it then it's natural cruising speed would go up but I would sacrifice some torque. I am sure there is a happy medium that makes sense. Those of you that have done this, what size tires would you recommend? It looks to me like I could put some 20" tires on it without having to lift it. Does that sound correct? My concern with that is that 20" tires probably won't make much of a difference, or would they? If I go over 20" I am guessing I would need to lift it. Which would be fine if it's the best way to go and allows for me to address my concern. What I don't want to do is overdo it and end up with a rig that looks cool but is completely gutless because it struggles to overcome the inertia of the wheels that are too big.

Or, are the clutch(es) the best way to address this? I am guessing it could be addressed via the cluth(es) but is probably better via the wheels/tires. Anyone have thoughts on that.

While I do want it to look decent I am not overly worried on the looks front. Clean look is good by me. Nor am I looking for it to be a racer - just run nice, relatively strong and be dependable.

Any thoughts, advice and input, especially from those who have done some of these things to MPTs, would be greatly appreciated. If Trig123, JponLKN or Cartmaster happen to see this would love to hear your thoughts! You all have been a great deal of help on this project so far and, I believe, are familiar with these MPTs.

Thanks to all!
Tfastle@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote