View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: TahoeDawgZ71/scottyb - Please read and comment

I may be to blame. Alltrax always did have the diode on their diagrams. Through a chance I learned it was redundant and there was built in protection. In discussion with some technicians I mentioned it was preferable that no diode was installed on the solenoid rather than one was put on reversed and I was told the warranty would remain in tact without the external diode. In a DIY world where 50 % of the installers never looked under the seat of an electric cart before changing the speed controller this was a happy compromise.

At this time Alltrax engineering has asked that everyone install the solenoid coil suppression diode, even though it is redundant, as an extra layer of protection.

I won't be putting one on my carts but I will start sending them out with new controller/solenoid combos.

I'm afraid here we go back to a bunch of backward diode problems - I will suggest that those of you doing your first or second install leave the diode off until you see the cart wheels move forward and back on the jack stands. Then be very sure of the (+) and the (-) side of the solenoid coil BEFORE you put the diode on and test it. If you are guessing you have a 50/50 chance of doing damage to the cart. This is why I was such an advocate of not using the redundant diode. But some people can't leave well enough alone so here we are again.
Attached Images
File Type: png Diode.png (2.7 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote