View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
offthehook
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2003 Club Car DS Bucks and Surges at First GO

I have a 2003 club Car DS (48V, IQ) which was driven to a point of totally discharging the batteries (I was not driving!). Batteries were recharged and the cart drove a few feet (with lots of power) and then just stopped. I could not get the cart to move again so I did lots of various tests recommended on this forum and decided to change the solenoid. Cart now runs great with exception to a new issue - it bucks and surges when you first depress the pedal. After the initial bucking (which lasts a couple of seconds), the cart runs normal and you don't experience any more bucking while doing the normal starting and stopping of on-road driving. However, once you stop for any prolong period of time (more than a few seconds), the bucking starts again when you first depress the pedal and then goes away as before.

When I changed the solenoid, I broke the wire of the old resistor which was attached between both posts of the solenoid. I replaced the resistor with a new one from the same vendor as the solenoid. Could the resistor be the problem? What is the role of of this resistor? Does it pre-charge the solenoid? How can I test it? What else could be causing the bucking/surging?

I also changed the entire battery pack as they were 4 years old and damaged by the severe discharge.

Thanks in advance for any ideas....
offthehook is offline   Reply With Quote