View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 07:35 PM   #8
Nolagt
Gone Wild

Default Re: Picked up a used 18 Onward and have battery questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
You can try cycling them a few times, but more than likely those are toast.
The two main ways that a dead battery exhibits itself is loss of voltage, and loss of capacity. Loss of capacity is often due to degradation of the plates, and they can show perfect voltage at rest even though you can't get 10 minutes of run time from them.

Sometimes sulfate buildup on the plates can be knocked off with multiple charges, or charging at a higher than normal voltage. But at best you will get only a portion of the capacity back. The battery will never return to it's full rated capacity.
Those watering systems are pretty near useless IMO, and often get clogged which prevents water from reaching all of the cells. They also lead to massive battery failures if the right conditions present, you end up with a chain reaction of battery explosions that can literally take out the entire pack. You're much better off without it.
Is there anyway to test for degradation of the plates? After sitting so far for 5 hours they have all lost .01v, I thought it would be more at this point based on 3 min of run time. But I don’t know the ins and outs of these battery systems.

Didn’t realize that about the water systems either, the cart came with it and I thought it was a cool idea. I won’t worry too much about it because I plan to move to lithium in the near future. Thanks for the heads up tho!
Nolagt is offline   Reply With Quote