View Single Post
Old 02-02-2020, 01:54 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 2015 Precedent motor noise

Sounds like you’re on the right track then.
When removing the motor be sure to put it in Tow mode, and remove the battery pack negative. Also use a second wrench on the studs on the motor so they don’t twist and possibly break. If they’re rusty give them a shot of oil before hand and let it soak in.
Once the motor is off there are two screws in the end plate, remove those to release the bearing retainer, then the armature will slide out of the open end. You’ll need to remove the 4 long case screws and remove the end plate to get access to the brushes. Mark the end plate and the adapter ring on the open end of the motor if it has it, to line them back up to the case properly.
The bearing on the armature should come off with a 2 jaw puller or bearing splitter and press if you access to one.
Leave The magnet for the speed sensor on the end, and it will pull off with the bearing. Make sure to not damage it unless you have a new one already.
Before installing the new bearing make sure to put the retainer on the armature.
Press the new bearing on until it stops, then use a piece of wood or flat bar laid across to tap the magnet on until it’s flush with the end.

Pull the brushes back in the brush holders and pull the springs back to they rest against the side of the brushes and that will hold them until you get the armature back in the case. I stand the armature up on the coupler and then put a block of wood and a couple shims on either side to set the case on. It varies by motor but you want the brushes in the case to be even with the commutator when you Lower the case around the armature. When it’s lined up pull back the brush springs and gently slide the brushes back in and release the springs. Then put the end cap over and tap lightly to get the bearing seated in the cap. I like to put a little bit of oil or grease on the outer race of the bearing to help it slide into place.
Now the fun part is to get the retainer screws lined back up with the retainer. You need a screw with the same thread that’s longer than the retainer screws to thread into the retainer and pick it up. Then get one of the original screws threaded just until it’s picked up, remove the longer screw and then thread in the other short screw. Snug them up evenly. Don’t over tighten or they may strip or break.
Once that’s done rotate the end plate to line up your marks and reinstall the case screws.

Clean the input shaft on the trans with your favorite cleaner and a brush, apply some antisieze to the shaft, then round washer, spring, spline washer, then cone rubber washer with the cone facing out. The small spline plug goes in the motor coupler, crown facing out. Be sure to remove the old plug if there’s one in there. Put some antisieze in the coupler then slide the motor back into place.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote