View Single Post
Old 10-25-2019, 01:08 PM   #1
buckeyeclubcar
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car Charger not shutting off, causing batteries to "bubble"

I just purchased a 2001 Club Car DS, batteries were shot so I bought brand new ones. I installed them per the user manual and the club car works without a hitch.

Problem I am having is after charging batteries overnight I woke up to bad smell in the garage and found the batteries making a noise as if the acid inside was boiling. I drove it a few times that day with no problems and then plugged the charger in. the charger did its normal thing, clicked on then clicked off and right back on and was pumping juice to the batteries, within 2 hours the smell started again and the batteries sound like they were boiling on inside. So, I unplugged the charger and am worried to charge them again. Charger is a power drive 2 club car charger.

I read online that the OBC on club cars are essentially the worse thing Club Car ever did to their carts and see lots of forums to just bypass the OBC. But if I bypass how do I know that batteries are charged and when to unplug the charger once bypassed?

What should I do next? I read to reset the OBC and try charging again. But I worry with the batteries “bubbling” that I am going to ruin batteries, and we all know how expensive those are.

Hoping someone somewhere can help, I know I may not have a bunch of details here. Let me know if I need to give more details.
buckeyeclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote