View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010, 09:43 AM   #9
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: My '87 is on jackstands now

Junkzoo--Before I forget about it when you do your upgrade to 48 volts retain your 36 volt motor as you are very lucky to have a good 36 volt motor, which is hard to find as many cart owners are looking for them as replacement higher performing motors and it does not hurt a good condition motor. I do always recommend rebuilding motor to peak condition which costs a whole lot less than any motor updates available, which I'm sure you would do anyway.
The meter is another issue as you said the meter had tag showed 36 volts?? I would think that meter would ruin itself ( break or bend needle or burn up? ) very fast hitting stop that hard? It might be that you could use one of the voltage adjustable digital meters that I see on Ebay, etc that are probably dip switch adjustable? I have never installed one so cant give any info on brand or suppliers. Or go with a 48 volt analog meter for now and be ready for up grade? Golf cart parts suppliers have cheap analog meter for less than $25. so your investment is minimal? I'm sure you know way way more than I do about meters, availabliity and functions to give you what you want, as I only know about dc meters? Now as to borrowing???????
EZGOKID-- Yes you should start your own thread, but to answer your question when I work on any brakes-clutches etc its as if they ARE ALWAYS ASBESTOS so I can feel safe that no body is going to be in danger. The surgical mask is next to nothing in this case and I would not EVER use one around brake dust. You need at MINIMUM a mask like commercial auto painters and high risk chemical exposure people use to be safe? They have pre-filter pads and chemical replaceable cannisters for double protection that I replace after each use ( expensive yes life saving worth every penny spent ) and always put them on face as per instructions ( NOTE NO FACIAL HAIR ALLOWED )? Even at that when I asked HAZ-MAT people when removing asbestos from my fathers old home and was told that even the paint mask is NOT ENOUGH as they use a special asbestos mask and full covering clothing taped closed at all joints, along with water wash down and wet material removal in sealed plastic bags that goes to a HAZARDUS WASTE approved site only, along with mask and all clothing and surgical shoe covers, and yes even the water sprayed on brakes? When I work on brakes I place a plastic bag around whole assembly and then through small opening on bag use a small spray bottle to wet whole area down before touching anything ( NOTE be careful when removing drum to not allow dust to get into air if possible again cover with plastic bag if possible ) and when off wet down inside bag as above. Alway wipe down with RAGS as they absorb better and retain asbestos better than paper towel etc. I DO NOT use brake cleaner sprays after cleaning proccess above because of possible bits of asbestos getting into air by drying and pressure effect.
All the above is not to keep you from doing your own work but to try and give you the best possible safety for you and every one around you ( Wife, Kids, Pets ) as well.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote