View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010, 12:12 AM   #7
junkzoo
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: My '87 is on jackstands now

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
Most often use for battery, motor and F&R cables are electric welding multi strand cables in 4-1 guage, stock was 6 guage. We find that covering ends has its good and bad points? Covered if corrosion starts will damage before seen?
Not being that familiar with quality like Taylor Dunn analog meters I would think that it should be adjustable? Connected to fully charged "pack voltage at 38.22" your meter may be at very top of readings? After a little load it should start to drop below 36 volts? You are correct in hookup directly across complete pack, I'm sure you will add a 5 amp fuse and most cart people dont bother to add switch to isolate as draw is not worth worrying about. Most cheap anaolog meters used on carts only show red-yellow, green or some thing similiar? With your knowledge of electricity I think you will add one of the digital read out meters before long? Of course you are aware that when getting to speed both anolog and digital meters will be all over the scale when your pulling from 50-200 plus amps.
With your knowledge I think you will be throwing away the old style micro and resistor speed controlling system for a modern battery sipping solid state system very soon to extend battery life and range, and maybe even up grade to 48 volts for a real ride?
Yup, plan is to use #2 welding cable
And on the meter, it does have the "red/yellow /green" on the scale face. thing is on what i'm assuming is full charge toward the right end of the scale, with (i recall, not 100% sure since i'm not looking at it at this time)where it says "charge"or chg let say the way end of it is at the one o clock position of the dial face, when i power it up across the 36 volts of the pack(fully charged as per my Fluke reads 38v's and some change(again not 100% of the exacts at this writing) the meter pointer will "boing" ,as in full on swing FAST as if it has no dampening to the meter movement(not sure if this kind of meter does have anything like dampening built into it) and go to what i would call the 3 o'clock position. Even tho it reads 36volts on the meter sticker, IMO it almost acts like it's something like a 24 volt meter that is getting "over powered" and maxing out past it's range,,if that makes any sense.
I might re-install and hook it back up(and run the "missing" 2nd wire i have never found LOL) to see how it reads/acts during cart usage, and back readings up with my Fluke like i have been going to base my charging on.

And YES hopes and plans are for upgrading to solid state and losing the wire wound resistor speed control mentality, along with going to 48 volts when these batteries have given up the ghost.But that'll be after body/paint and lift w/wheels-tires. I test drove a 48v '08 CC at my new nearby CC shop(Was a Pontiac dealer prior, so they went to being a CC shop, lucky for me LOL) and i sure could tell the BIG difference 'tween my 36v and a 48 v.

But for now i'm wondering if my current meter is toast and need to get a new analog one, ,tho getting a nice digital one for 36 volts(a lil more $$) seems like a sorta waste of cash if plans are to upgrade to 48v by next summer if my plans go on schedule.

And BTW: Thanks for all the help /info so far, it's been a great help!

and one more thing, since i'm currently off work on sickleave for spinal fusion surgery, and plans are to get back to work mid Dec, I remember we have some digital panel type volt meters @ work, w/ dip sw/adjustable ranges, so i might be "borrowing" one to use for my CC here.
junkzoo is offline   Reply With Quote