View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Default Re: 4-12 volt Battery Pack Run Times compared to 6 8 volt

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordlawn View Post
My question here is a question of procedure and I would like to compare my 6 8V batteries made by Johnsosn Controls bought at Wal-Mart in 12/08. I drove 19 miles today and still was showing 49.9 when checked voltage a while after parking....so here is my question for our testing continuity and sameness.....
When do we test pack voltage after a long period of use to determine where the pack is at. Is it iimmediately after parking, 5 min. later or 30 min. later?
I have 2 sets of batteries---brand new Trojan 12V bought last week and on its third full rechg. cycle ina Precedent, and a 5 month old set of Walmart 8V batteries in a resistor cart with a reworked 36V motor. I would really like to see how the WalMart ones compare to some others members findings who have Trojans and other brands.
I think this could be a good thread and test series you got started here
I'll check tomorrow to see what the difference is between 5, 15 and 30 minutes to be on the safe side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasetim View Post
On my 48v discharging machine brand new 12v trojans make about 90 mins.. 60 mins is 2 rounds of golf..
brand new trojans or exides usually get about 140 mins..
brand new johnson controls get around 80 mins.
three years later the typical findings are 12v trojans about 45 mins, exide and trojan 8vs about 100 mins, and johnson controls 30 mins or so.. (or totally dead).
the 12vs dont have quite the same run time, and they are extremely sensitive to improper water sources.
Thanks Phasetim.
In your opinion what is the equivalent on your discharge machine to real world? Are you drawing them down to 50% or all the way? Also for example you show 90 minutes on a 12 volt battery and 140 minutes on an 8 volt battery. Based on that the 8 volt pack should last 36% longer then the 12 volt pack with fresh batteries. So if I can go for over 2 hours and 15 minutes like today and still have some left over after normal driving on a 4-12 volt pack someone with a 6-8 volt pack should go almost 3 hours. It will be interesting to see how other 6-8 volt packs do in real world. That is quite a big gain for sure!
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote