Thread: Primer / Sealer
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2015, 08:29 AM   #71
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Primer / Sealer

- Do I need to remove all of the gray primer? It's been on there for at least 8 years.
- Do I need to mix the PPG differently due to painting Fiberglas?
- Should I spray thin coats because of the flex in the body?
- I'm assuming I should spray a DP white seal coat?
- Can I just spray the sealer over the sanded down body, or do I need to put high build on it?

Personally I would sand off as much primer as you can without breaking through the original sealer that is covering the fiberglass. The reason I say that is because if it is a acrylic enamel primer the urethane based paints could possibly eat into it. You don't have to remove every speck of it but as much as you can.

You can mix and spray your paint the same as normal. If you would like you could add a flex additive in the paint to give it more flex.

spray the repaired spots with high build and sand. You can then go and spray your sealer over all of it. When doing so fog the area of repair a couple time first and let that dry a bit. If you pound on to much sealer in those areas it will create a ring around the repaired areas.

Painting fiberglass is really no different than painting metal. It is the repair and prep that is a little different.

Good luck and let me know if you have anything else.
master66 is offline   Reply With Quote