View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #7
Ultra Lady
Not Yet Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: 79 Harley Gas Cart Fuel Delivery

I've done a lot of reading this afternoon. I'm almost sure you're right about the leak. I have been "assuming" that it's a new piece of hose so MUST be good ... but it's a cheap fix to try. I also read another suggestion to give the gasket locations and carb mountings a shot with carb cleaner and see if it sucks it in and revs up. Don't know why I didn't think of that as it's an old hot rod trick (or old junkers like I drove in high school!). I'm going to step back and do a step by step inspection on this thing. Check the timing, replace the points if they're toast, and a new condenser, check for any missing or leaking gaskets, another fuel line, etc.

When it was idling, it was smooth as glass but I think we aggravated the old girl by disassembling everything, no doubt giving it more air leaks and displacing protective crud. Thinking back on the breakdowns, I have a couple things I need to revisit. I just have to get the starter generator off again so I can check a couple things. I think there may be an entire gasket missing at the reed plate! Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember seeing it while my husband had it apart. He's too frustrated to work on it anymore so now it's my turn. He'll hate life if I get it running right! (He's an auto/truck technician).

I'll work it one end to the other myself so I can check things off as I inspect them, and see what's what.

Thanks so much for your help! I'll let you know what I learn. May be a couple weeks as it's Biketoberfest here and I gotta have some quality time with my TWO wheel Harley so she doesn't think I'm cheating on her!!

Back to you with updates later ...............
Ultra Lady is offline   Reply With Quote