View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
Ultra Lady
Not Yet Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: 79 Harley Gas Cart Fuel Delivery

When we had it all apart, I was checking the reed valves, and the petals of the valve look like brand new, the plate they lay on also looks clean with no pits or damage. They lay completely flat on the plate and the reed stops look perfect.

We had it back apart to check the diaphragm, and it only goes into the carb in one direction (metal plate with holes attached to diaphragm should point AWAY from carb body, correct)? I have the breakdown illustrations from the parts manual and service manual, so we compared to that for the order and parts, not trusting that whoever had it apart before us had done it correctly. How many incarnations of this Tillotson carb were there?

We put some fuel down the air intake with filter assembly off of it, and it will now draw fuel into it, but won't pull hard enough from the tank. Incidentally, I'm waiting for replacement parts for the tank; cap, 90 degree elbow, tank strainer, etc, so for now it's just a new rubber fuel line, runs thru an inline filter and into a plastic gas can with fresh fuel and oil.

It still blows bubbles back into the inline filter. Not as bad as before, but seems very odd that it's sending air BACK up the fuel line? Is that indicative of an air leak somewhere? Carb mounting, etc.
Ultra Lady is offline   Reply With Quote