View Single Post
Old 08-17-2019, 08:22 AM   #3
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Key switch turns off headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drd1 View Post
Does anyone have an idea on hooking headlights to key switch on 2005 precedent cart?
As LabRat says there are several ways. My preference would be to hook up a relay and you would use the T9AP1D52-48 general purpose 48V relay. This is available from many suppliers but Mouser Electronics have it for just a few dollars. The attachment shows the connections.

If your headlights work via a headlight switch then simply take the positive (probably 12V) from that switch and connect it to pole 30 of the relay. Then connect another similar gauge wire from 87 back to the headlight switch (where the other wire came from). Run a new wire from the "cold" side of the key switch (the one that only has power when the key is on) to pole 86 of the relay and another new wire from pole 85 of the relay to a negative point on the loom.

What happens is that when the key switch is on 48V will run through the relay to the -48V you have connected to the loom. This switches the relay on and allows the 12V to go to the headlight switch. If the headlight switch is on the lights will work. When the key is off the lights will go off no matter what position the headlight switch is in. If you want the key on but the lights off just turn the headlight switch off.

I have a similar relay to operate my voltage reducer and I have mounted it where there is room near the back of the key switch in the dash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Relay to light switch.jpg (55.7 KB, 0 views)
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote