View Single Post
Old 02-28-2015, 02:58 PM   #1
rmack898
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default 3 Cyl Yanmar in a G16

Ok, my name is Mac and I like diesels. After finishing a VW diesel swap in a Samurai, I started looking for a new project. I had an old beat up G16 with no motor, and I had a brand new 3 cylinder Yanmar that had been sitting under the bench in my shop for at least 2 years so I figured why not put them together.

This has got to be a low-buck build because I can't afford anymore toys. I had some new rolling stock that came off a Suzuki King Quad and I figured that would be a good place to start my build. I had to make new front hubs, and spool type adapters to get the wheels on the cart. I can't afford a fancy lift kit so I made my own. I am just now getting to the point where I will install the engine but I have to make an adapter for mounting the clutch to the engine and this kind of has me stalled for the moment. I have a stock G16 clutch and it is for a tapered shaft. If I use this clutch I have serious doubts as to how long it will hold up. It seems like most of the other clutches I see that are used in motor swaps ore for straight shafts with a keyway. I only want to make the engine/clutch adapter once.

So here is my question/dilemma: Do I machine the taper out of the G16 clutch and make it a straight bore with a keyway, or do I make the adapter with a tapered shaft like the original Yamaha engine. What is the taper of the Yamaha crankshaft?

Here's a few pics of what I have already.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 cyl yanmar2.jpg (189.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 010 (2).jpg (197.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (192.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (182.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg roller.jpg (190.3 KB, 0 views)
rmack898 is offline   Reply With Quote