View Single Post
Old 07-03-2018, 10:27 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Welded Solenoid?

Well, I don't your cart specifically but know resistor carts in general. It does seem like your solenoid is staying on and the heat is dissipating through the resistors which is creating the heat. There is good news in that, as you have no controller you need not be concerned about burning it up. Resistors are pretty rugged so those should be fine.

With regard to the solenoid itself, are you using something called a "continuous duty" one? Continuous duty means that they are designed to always be closed when the cart is in operation. Most automotive solenoids and a lot of cart ones are not continuous duty and only designed to be closed during the starting process. If you replace the solenoid (and it looks like you are going to have to) just make sure to get the right one. The wrong ones will weld. Obviously, you want a 48v solenoid and not a 36v one.

With regard to the reducer, buzzer, accessories, etc. I don't see how those can have any impact on the solenoid whatsoever as the only thing that should be impacting it are the key switch / v-glide. Again, I don't know your specific cart. I am only talking in general. A good test would be to see if your solenoid is getting voltage on the solenoid's small terminals when it shouldn't be. In other words, when the cart is at rest there should be no voltage going to the solenoid at the small terminals. If there is then the problem is somewhere other than the solenoid.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote