View Single Post
Old 07-02-2018, 09:06 PM   #1
joop1881
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Welded Solenoid?

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen;

I have searched and searched and read and I am at the end of my rope. I have come to the masses for consultation!

Here's where I have been and where I am at: restoring a 1990 DS, 36v, single solenoid, resistor cart. Started with a new battery pack and studied the wiring diagram to fix a couple of wiring issues due to time (and rats). Everything seemed to be running fine, so I added a battery meter successfully then followed that up with a 12v horn and 12v light kit wired to 12v in the middle of the pack. I believe that caused my first blown solenoid. Immediately after I wired the light kit the solenoid was dead. Disconnected the light, replaced the solenoid (36v amazon special) and purchased a voltage reducer to run the lights and horn. I believe I have everything wired according to the plans and the cart seemed to run perfect.

Then.. I tried to rewire on the reverse buzzer that had been disabled years ago. Admittedly, I had it connected with wire nuts (I know, I know...). It didn't buzz but I finished my nightly ride anyway and decided I would take another look at the buzzer later or maybe just the buzzer was busted. Came home, parked, put it on the charger. Couple hours later I went out in the garage and the cart is burning hot. Ripped out the buzzer and disconnected from solenoid. Ever since the cart gets hot fast and drains very quick and will run in the off position. After some research it sounds like the solenoid welded.

I don't even know where to start. I want to make sure I fix the issue before replacing the solenoid again.

Is the issue with the wiring of the reducer, the accessories, faulty/incorrect solenoid(also didn't know about diode), the v-glide, or the d@mn buzzer.....?

thanks in advance for any advice.
joop1881 is offline   Reply With Quote