View Single Post
Old 04-29-2017, 10:09 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO 2Five Lithium Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernito View Post
I have a 2014 EZGO 2Five (4 x 12 volt configuration) and am interested in converting it to one of the Nissan Leaf based battery packs sold by EV Battery Center.com (http://evbatterycenter.com/HAC4/inde...-15&Itemid=605). The battery pack has a power output cable included with SB175 Andersen Connector and a charger output cable with 50A Anderson connector.

They sell an optional 4 AWG, red/black, 2 ft cable with 175A Anderson (red) to connect from battery to the solenoid and a 12 AWG cable with Anderson connector (grey) 5ft. is included with the on-board charger.

I have read multiple other forums regarding lithium conversions, but was hoping to get some specific questions answered:

1. Has anyone completed a 2Five conversion? If so, can you please provide as much detail and photos as possible?

2. The manual states that the cart has a 48V on board battery charger with DC to DC converter. Is the DC to DC converter built in to the on board charger, or is it a separate module that I can continue to use after replacing the existing charger with an on board lithium ion charger?

3. How exactly would the wiring work? I currently have three sets of wires attached to a positive battery terminal and three wires attached to a different negative battery terminal in the series. I want to ensure that I wire the new pack safely and correctly, so all of my accessories continue to work properly.

Any insight would be appreciated, and please include as much detail as possible. I can provide pictures of the existing connections if helpful. Thanks.
The DC-DC converter is built into the onboard charger. If you go Lithium, you'll have to buy a seperate converter and use that because your onboard charger is not compatible with lithium batteries. There was a seller on eBay that had new RXV DC-DC converters for $35 + $10 shipping. I bought one of them from him 2 weeks ago for my road car project, and was tempted to buy another as a spare. He sold out a few days ago, so I missed it.

There's no reason that you could not convert to lithium, but keep in mind that you should not store or charge LiPo packs in your garage. There have been too many incidents of LiPo packs catching fire or exploding lately. This is why they are now warning people to charge them outdoors and away from structures.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote