View Single Post
Old 01-10-2020, 09:37 AM   #10
fstop
Gone Wild

Default Re: Lithium / BMS basic wiring diagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
fstop, any relay with a DC coil should have a flyback diode reversed bias and wired across the relay coil to prevent a high voltage buildup on the device turning the relay ON/OFF.

This is particularly critical if the DC coil relay is being activated by an SSR (Solid State Relay) as is the case in the Zeva controller.

Some solenoids with an internal "economizer" coil driver don't need it since the flyback diode functionality is already built into the solenoid (check relay/solenoid specs for any built in protection).
Thank you - that's exactly what I was looking for.

I've just generally not seen the diodes in most of the wiring diagrams floating around here. I guess most people drawing them and reading them know this already, but I only know enough to know I see them sometimes and not others - thanks for explanation about the in-built diodes.

I'm probably going to be using the Chargery BMS16, which I currently have, and I assume it has some kind of SSR inside to switch 12v to the disconnect solenoids (there is no "click" when it activates, anyway).

The relay or solenoid - not sure of proper term in this case - needs a 12v coil in the case of the Chargery diconnect output - what would the specs be on the proper diode to put a across the coil terminals, and how should it be oriented?

Thanks for all your input here - it is incredibly helpful.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote