View Single Post
Old 09-13-2016, 05:58 PM   #4
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: normal brake noise?

OK - here's a far flung theory. Each of the star shaped self adjusters (thing at the bottom with the fine threads) has two washers (one fiber and one metal) which I imagine are precisely sized to keep the shoes just-barely-clear of the drum when the self adjuster advances the shoes. It is easy to have one of those washers fall to the ground and go unnoticed when you re-fit the brake shoes, because it happened to me. When I replaced my shoes a year or so back - I was refitting the drum and discovered (before putting the wheel back on, luckily) that one of those darn washers was on the floor below the drum. It had fallen off while I struggled to tug the lower springs back in place.

I am purely speculating, that the self adjuster could have moved those shoes too close if a washer was missing. And you wouldn't hear that rubbing sound until the shoe got adjusted over time. This is pure speculation on my part - Hows that for a wild a** theory? A simpler theory might just be new-shoe-dust - and a simple drum clean out might be all that is needed to make the noise go away.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote