View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Total Charge Issue

The battery voltage fluctuates all over the place while driving the cart because the higher the load (Amps being drawn) the lower the battery voltage drops.

Only dropping 2.5V (37.0V down to 35.5V) on a hill is a good sign.
Or it wasn't much of a hill.

I have a dash mounted DVM (http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Digita...ry_Meters.html) and on the return legs of my trips when the pack is discharged the most, I back off the throttle on hills when the voltage drops down to about 1.75VPC (Volts per Cell). That would be 31.5V for a 36V battery pack.

---------
Just getting to 44V while on charge is still a little low. Keep charging them repeatedly with 12 hour charge cycles until they consistently go above 45V.

The nice thing about the ferroresonant transformer design chargers such as the Total-Charge, is that the charging profile is built into the matched transformer and capacitor pair and as the On-Charge voltage increases, the charging current decreases, so there is little, if any, danger of overcharging the batteries.

---------
All the charger's control board does is turn the charger on (if the pack voltage is above about 30V) and off (when the On-Charge voltage reaches about 45V).
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote