Thread: EPIC amp ATV
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2020, 01:11 PM   #1
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default EPIC amp ATV

Well didn't I find a needle in a hay stack!!!

I found this gem on Facebook market place a few weeks ago and had to have it!!!

It's one of very few EPIC amp atvs. Its built on a renli platform. It has 4wd locking front and rear diffs 5spd manual and its powered by a warp9 electric motor. This particular one was 72v lithium. It looks to have had one of the flux bms modules fail which prevented the charger from being able to charge it any more. This ultimately lead to the failure of the entire pack. [emoji22]

Further investigation has found the alltrax axe dead as well. I was unable to source any wiring diagrams for the original wiring harness so its been a very slow process of getting everything working again.

I have a low cost approach of getting it moving to ensure nothing in the drivetrain is damaged before I spend alot of money on a huge lithium pack and 1000+ amp controller.

I'll be using parts I already have. Replacing the alltrax with a 72v 600amp TSX 3.0 controller from navitas. This will enable me to easily monitor the controller temp and amperage from my phone while I test it out. This info will help to give me an idea of what I'll need for a long term setup.

Battery will be pulled from my big cart 67v 16s gen3 nissan leaf modules. Later I plan to make a 72v3p leaf pack from gen2 cells.

So far I've gutted the buggy of the dead batteries, controller, and bms system. Ive chased out the wiring mess that EPIC amp did to retrofit the electric drive and also collected as much info on the charger as I could.

Delta Q 922-7254 turns out its 99v capable fully programmable and has a built in 30amp 60amp peak 12v reducer.

I managed to figure out the 12v wiring and get the heads up display working. What a surprise that was!! Its only done 163 miles!!

In order to retrofit the navitas controller im making an independent wiring harness using the alltrax clubcar schematics as a guide. So easy to follow props to them on documentation!!

Next up was the throttle. Navitas controllers require the use of a safety throttle switch and also H/W/L 3 wire pot in order to work correctly. The original throttle was a curtis PB-6 2 wire and didn't have the mounting plate for the micro switch. Despite my better judgment I purchased a new PB-6 3 wire with micro switch. It wasn't until I went to use it that I realized the H side of the pot wasn't connected. So I tore it apart and soldered a lead on the missing H side. While in it I changed all the leads to better match the Alltrax diagram.

Next up will be to wire up the controllers logic power circuit, foot switch, and run tow.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Jkerle is offline   Reply With Quote