View Single Post
Old 02-22-2008, 01:00 AM   #9
dwmmatt23
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: engine stumbled and now no spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
First lets try "Pulser and Source" coil Ohms test. On the passanger side rear inner fender you'll find the wire harness "bulit" conections to the "cdi" (between the rearward side of the soleniods). "Unplug" the (white/red and white/green) wires...check the ohm reading...should be 14 ohms +-10% (if not you have a wire harness problem or the "pulsar coil" behind the flywheel. Now "Unplug" the (brown and black) wires...ohm reading should be 350 ohms+-10% (if not you have a wire harness problem or the " charge coil" behind the flywheel. Now to check the "ignition coil". Unscrew your spark plug cap (counter clockwise), unplug the "orange" wire from the wire harness...check for continuity between the orange wire and the "core" of the ignition coil (meaning the metal part of the coil were the screws go thru to mount it) You should Primary winding resistance of 1.0 ohms +- 10%. If not change the coil. Now to check the "secondary winding resistance", (this is why you removed the spark plug cap).. check the ohms between "the core and the end of the spark plug wire"..You should have 5.9k ohms +- 20%...If not change the coil. I recommend you take a small section off the coil wire (with dikes) to promote a good mating surface for your spark plug cap to screw back into....(this could be the problem also ). Give these tests a try and let me know. Sorry it seem like such a long post, but if I didn't expain it this way I don't know if you'd understand the procedures. Later Dave
ok i tried and everything was how it was supposed to be but the brown and black wire out the cdi box, nothing to the black and 0.5 to the brown. now what should i be looking for?
dwmmatt23 is offline   Reply With Quote