View Single Post
Old 01-19-2022, 01:22 AM   #1
planejob
Not Yet Wild

Default "Finished" the Meth Cart, Kawasaki Ninja EX300 into electric TXT

In November 2019 I started searching for a motorcycle with a good engine to swap into a wrecked golf cart that I picked up. My friend and I were going to document the entire build on YouTube. nope. We worked on it diligently for 3 months, published one video, and the project stalled for 18 months.

Back in 2019, the donor cart's motor and axle were seized up, the cables were cut, the batteries had been stolen, it had 1 tire that would hold air and came with 15 that did not. The front axle beam was bent 90 degrees at the shock mount. It was a piece. It was priced right.

Here's the youtube walk around of the "Meth Bike" that has since donated it's heart to the cart, hence "Meth Cart". The guy was normal on the phone but quite a tweaker in person.
Meth Bike Episode One (and Only...)

Anyway, Here it is now:

My favorite thing about this cart is that I feel I retained the "golf cart look". Sure, the rollbar is there, and the shifter poking up from the floor hints at something different, but it still looks like a golf cart.

The shifter linkage was tricky and I used some bushings, rods, and heim joints to get it to the center of the cart and up through the floor. The engine can rock left or right and the suspension can flex without binding the shifter or inadvertently changing gears.

I reused the OEM wiring harness for all of the connections. I did spend a day pulling all of the unnecessary lights and turn signal wiring out of the engine harness. I kept the Kawasaki Diagnostics plug, and retained all functionality of the cluster - the fuel gauge even works.

Solid axle, 5 bearings for the cart and engine cradle.

All of the functions on the dash work, even the check engine light is functional (if you maybe forget to plug in a sensor).

It's quick. I've got about 25 miles on it since completion, just tooling around the neighborhood.

A lot of lessons were learned.
planejob is offline   Reply With Quote