View Single Post
Old 06-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #9
btimmer
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2000 Bombardier will not go

I just received a '99 Bomb as a freebie. The guy had bought it new for use in our golf community but it started acting up about 4 years ago and he couldn't find anyone to work on it. He got sick of it sitting there with the cover on in his driveway so he gave it to me. I am a retired electrical engineer and seen this as a challenge so started working on it immediately. First I found that the aux. battery was dead as he never pulled the fuse during winter storage. While replacing the battery thru the new cut out that I made in the tunnel, I found that one battery cable was not tight which could have caused some of the problems. It started working somewhat with the new battery but still wouldn't select all of the drive modes correctly. Couldn't get reverse or golf mode except maybe once in a while and the other were intermittent as well. I pulled the switch out and cleaned and inspected. Was a little better but still problems getting all modes. On the third time out with the switch, I found the cause of all of the problems and I am sure this is causing problems on many Bombs. If I looked closely with a magnifying lens, I could see hair line cracks in the solder joints on the rocker switches between the switch posts and foil on circuit board. Not very visible with the naked eye but they were there. I used a fine brass wire brush to clean the connections on all 5 switches and the connector and re-soldered them all, put the switch back in, and now it works like new. If you have any intermittent problems selecting drive modes, look for this issue as I am sure all bombardiers produced have the potential for this issue. Good Luck and hope this helps.
btimmer is offline   Reply With Quote