View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
pYr8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default 1992 G9 No Spark

Hi Folks, brand new here. Been reading a bunch of "no spark" related posts from my garage in SE Texas & think I hit a wall. I've auto & boat experience, small engines are kinda new for me.

This "new to my dad (less than a year)" 1992 G9A (based on chassis# JG5-112817) was running fine until last week. My dad parked it one night, next day it wouldn't start. I went over & checked the 4 basics, fuel/air/fire/exit & found no fire. After unscrewing the SP cap from the high tension wire & seeing no spark there I suggested he replace the coil. Well, $90 later, still no spark. I decided to bring it to my air conditioned garage to dig deeper. Here's what I've found and/or fixed so far.

Charged the battery
Cleaned battery terminals & posts
Checked coil:
- Primary 1.6 Ohm
- Secondary 10.11K Ohm (no cap)
- Cap 5.46K Ohm
Pickup coil 541 Ohm
Replaced battery to chassis ground
Replaced .25F spade (loose) at orange (+?) on coil

Much like the boats I buy, the electrical looks like it's seen at least a few shade trees.

The cart shop he bought it from thought it was a G14 & sold him a coil based on that. Not sure what they based their "G14" assumption on.

It's a neat lookin little rig, lifted with big ol fat nobby tires & all camo'd out. Sure like to get this running for him. Kind of a Papa's Day gift...

Any thoughts and advise would sure be appreciated.

Thanks much
Karl
pYr8 is offline   Reply With Quote