View Single Post
Old 07-26-2021, 01:05 PM   #1
WranglerSK
Not Yet Wild

Default HD Setting Points - Timing marks both just before view

I can't thank everyone enough for their fabulous posts and threads on these harley carts. I can't say I'm a technical guru, but I am a rancher and do wrench on quite a bit of equipment.

My friend's cart, the "zipmobile" is a project over the last number of years that ends up in my shop over winter. I typically tune up little things and keep it moving, but this last time had me scratching my head.

I sourced it down to faulty coil, points/condenser. This unit used to run good, but I always did notice that it had more getup in reverse than forward.

I've changed the points, condenser, new plug, new coil, new wire. I've timed it just as the posts show, even went into building a timing stop, but here's my dilemma:

When i set gap at .022, then roll down to bottom, then roll both CW and CCW from BDC, testing for point break both directions using a multimeter - I see that my timing mark on the flywheel both are not center for either. they are just starting to show (the one just starting along the bottom and the other just starting from the top). I've adjusted the plate to make them equal, resetting gap each time. the cart still lacks the getup going forward. it starts and runs but not like it should.

...so what would cause the timing marks to not be centered in the view window?
WranglerSK is offline   Reply With Quote