View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 08:10 AM   #1
Anthonyc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Noob Charging Question - What Amps, How long

Hello forum members,

I recently purchased a Club Car DS, a 1997 Series Cart to be more specific.
After it was delivered, I noticed the batteries were pretty dry ( 2 gallons of distilled water went into the 32 cells on the pack )

The cart came with a powerdrive charger. I plugged it in and as you can imagine nothing happened. This forum has been very helpful in giving me useful facts like the charger won't engage if the string is below 32-30V. So I charged the batteries individually with a 6 / 12V charger until the string was able to power up the relay in the battery light.

At that point ( or somewhere near about there ) I was able to engage the relay on the poweredrive charger to close and start charging the string.
It started out at 5 Amps. Now after a few hours the amp meter is reading about 10A the measured voltage across the string while charging was around 57V

I'm aware these batteries may be toast. But for $600 in batteries (Duracell/ Deka GC- I have to at least try to charge them before I give up.

However I have no idea how long they should take to charge. From this low a state of charge. I think it was around 5-10%. Based upon the Trojan T-875 literature.

Also is this dangerous? Charging low SOC batteries that were pretty dry?

Other then this silly little battery problem the cart was in "like new" condition.

Also was a 3.75 HP motor the standard on these units. I thought it was less.

Any advice is appreciated.
Anthonyc is offline   Reply With Quote