View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 09:24 AM   #9
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

Default Re: Terminating Charge before complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The only safety comment I would add is that in those cases to ask Your daughter to charge the cart with the Seat propped open.

Unplugging the AC cord first is good as it eliminates the possibility of an arc when the DC plug is unplugged.

There will likely be explosive gases venting from the batteries when the charge is interrupted, but they are light gases and will dissipate quickly if the seat does not trap them.

That will eliminate the possibility of any spark in the battery compartment causing problems.
Obviously safety precautions are always a good thing. I’m not recommending against them, and I’m certainly not implying that Sergio hasn’t already forgotten way more about golf carts than I will ever know, but I figured I’d share my perspective.

My golf cart are on an island off the coast of NC where there are no cars allowed. Aside from bicycles and walking, golf carts are the only mode of transportation. There are literally thousands of golf carts. Many of the homes are rented out to vacationers, who clearly have no knowledge of how to maintain, or even care for, golf cart batteries. Sadly it is commonplace to see a cart way overloaded (6+ people) crawling along at 3 miles per hour because the batteries have been excessively depleted. (Why walk back to the rented house when you can chug chug along, right?)

It is very, very common to have multiple carts charging simultaneously in enclosed garages underneath houses. Nobody bothers to lift seats while charging. Nobody cares to wait for a charger to finish. (Hey man if you wanna get to the beach, you wanna get to the beach.).

As far as I know, in the 30+ years that the island has been developed there has never been an explosion and/or a fire from what I’ll call idiots-charging-carts-dangerously.

TJ
thetoddjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote