View Single Post
Old 01-27-2019, 10:22 AM   #12
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: DIY 101 - 14 cell Nissan Leaf lithium pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by yensidcamper View Post
This will likely be my next winter's project. A couple of questions...How does a 7 pack of batteries reach 48 volts? These Leaf Batteries all appear to be a little over 4V. Would I expect about 20 miles on a 7 pack? How many years are these batteries expected to last? Thanks for your time.
The link below is a great source of information for anyone considering a build with Nissan Leaf modules. It has pretty much everything you could need to know about these modules. Check it out.

https://evbatterycenter.com/HAC4/ind...=63&Itemid=196

"When a battery pack for a custom project is being calculated, every module should be considered as two batteries 3.8V / 60Ah each, already connected in series. As a result each module is 7.6V average, max 8.4V. For instance, to make 45V battery - 6 modules can be used." In our case we are adding a 7th module to bring it 53.2v nominal or 58.4v max. By paralleling the second 7 modules and not putting them in series you double the capacity but keep the voltage the same.

Prepare yourself for some seriously SWAG math here...

"Charging/Discharging cycles
The battery is rated for 1200 cycles at 0-100% charge until it*reaches*the 80% of the capacity or 5000 cycles when used 0-80% charge." Compared this to 400-500 charge cycles for lead acid batteries. I am configuring my systems to charge to max 80% capacity and I will seldom run it below 20% from empty. So I should reasonably expect something on the 5000 charge cycles end of the scale. I am still on my first charge, at 52% remaining with just over (aggressively driven) 20 miles traveled.

Also consider that because of my capacity I will typically only charge once or twice a week... So after 3,000-4,000 weeks my battery pack in theory will still have 80% of the original capacity or 32 mile range...

Keep in mind that tire size, terrain, gearing and driving style all have a direct impact on range.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote