View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 07:46 PM   #1
Swm0105
Not Yet Wild

Question Redhawk All LED Light Kit Installation Help

I have a 2010 CC Precedent and purchased a Redhawk All LED Street Legal Deluxe Light Kit (LGT-506L), this particular kit is designed for 6-8v batteries and includes a voltage reducer.

To my surprise when the package arrived I realized that the voltage reducer apparently included in the kit was a 16v~12v reducer. Perhaps I should have anticipated this, but I assumed that Redhawk would have included a 48v~12v reducer to properly balance the load across all batteries.

Being that I don't want to draw from just two of my batteries, and the fact that the wiring harness included in the kit has matching connectors to the #1 & #6 battery factory connectors (48v setup), I purchased a Redhawk 48v~12v, 30amp reducer (VOLT-2001).

Here is my situation: I hooked up the 48v~12v reducer to the #1 & #6 batteries (48v) and ran the key switch wire. I then connected the +/- reducer leads to the +/- fused wire assembly leads. Easy enough...

Further down on the wire assembly there is a single connector for the originally provided 16v~12v reducer. This single connector has two wires, one apparently supplying power to the would be reducer (16v), then a second wire providing the reduced 12v power back into the wire assembly.

Being that I have already installed the 48v~16v reducer at the battery compartment, I have 12v coming into the single connector designed for the provided 16v~12v reducer (volt meter tested/verified). I placed a jumper in this connector to simply continue the 12v supply back into the wire assembly.

I then tested out the kit by turning the hazard lights on (brake lights and running lights flashed correctly), running lights on (didn't work), headlights on (didn't work), left and right turn signals (lit up solidly, but did not blink on/off), pressure activated brake pad (didn't work) horn (didn't work), cigarette lighter (correctly has 12v). Please note that I turned on and then off each of the features in the testing sequence prior to moving on to the next feature, ie: hazards on then off, running lights on then off, etc...

What am I doing wrong here? Is the kit designed to have 48v or possibly 16v running through the wire assembly initially and then reducing the voltage down to 12v at the connection point that's included in the wire assembly?

I obviously assumed that buying a plug n play kit was going to offer me a relatively easy installation...I'm currently not enjoying my first upgrade! Please
Swm0105 is offline   Reply With Quote